Spring Branch, TX asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Civil Litigation for Texas

Q: Can I switch Jurisdiction to my County now, same State, at the time but now she moved out of State? (been a year)

Filed for visitation in my County but it got transferred to her County. During the process she moved out of State for no reason at all. I want my County to have Jurisdiction now. She has residence in the other state now.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Jurisdiction and venue are established at the time a lawsuit is filed. The only way to make a change after a lawsuit has been filed is to dismiss the pending lawsuit and refile a new lawsuit in a court with jurisdiction and venue. In most "visitation" matters, the state and county with jurisdiction and venue will be where the child has been living for at least six months.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.