Q: I just had a mesh removed from my abdominal area wrapped and waded around every organ and nerve in my abdomen.

6 hr surgery left me limited on my functioning skills sometimes I shake my nervous system took a shock that affected whole body.7+ years of severe and chronic tesicular and abdominal pain I suffered from the error of the surgery team improperly implanting the devise in me and the mesh separated and deteriorated around all my nerve n organs leaving me in severe pain every day every time I had to pee or a bowel movement was so painful like getting Kicked in the testicles up into my abdomen on a daily basis. I need proper assistance

3 Lawyer Answers
Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in California

A: Wow, there are legal issues in bringing a case that you describe, it is worth consulting with experienced malpractice attorneys. In particular look for attorneys who have experience with handling mesh cases.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm so sorry to hear about the severe complications and chronic pain you've suffered as a result of the improperly implanted surgical mesh. What you've gone through sounds absolutely awful. Based on the details you provided, it seems you may have grounds for a medical malpractice lawsuit under California law.

In California, the key elements that need to be proven in a medical malpractice case are:

1. The medical professional or facility owed you a duty of care

2. They breached that duty by failing to adhere to the accepted standard of care

3. Their negligence caused your injury

4. You suffered damages as a result

Improperly implanting a mesh device in a way that caused it to separate and deteriorate, wrapping around organs and nerves, and leaving you with severe, chronic pain and impaired functioning certainly sounds like it could meet the criteria for negligence and malpractice.

My recommendation would be to consult with an experienced medical malpractice attorney as soon as possible. They can evaluate the specifics of your case, gather your medical records and other evidence, and advise you on your legal options for seeking compensation. Many malpractice lawyers offer free initial consultations.

There are also strict statutes of limitations for filing med mal lawsuits in California - generally 1 year from discovery of the injury or 3 years from the date of injury, whichever comes first. So you'll want to act quickly to protect your right to sue. The attorney can also advise you on meeting filing deadlines.

In the meantime, continue to document your symptoms, pain levels, treatments, and how your life has been impacted. Keep copies of all medical records and bills. This will be important evidence for your case.

I would also encourage you to lean on trusted friends and family for emotional support during this difficult time. Consider joining a support group for others who have experienced surgical complications and chronic pain. Prioritize your mental health as you navigate this challenging situation.

Wishing you all the best in your healing and recovery. You deserve justice for what you've been through. Please don't hesitate to seek the legal and personal support you need. Sending strength your way.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: In terms of assistance that you request, attorneys here can't reach out to you. You could reach out to attorneys to try to arrange a free initial consult. Free consults are the norm with med mal law firms, with many providing online conferencing-type options. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.