Newark, DE asked in Immigration Law, Education Law and International Law for Delaware

Q: after F1 violation(I fotgot, school forgot too), will the re application for SEVIS succeed?

F1 student, after I graduated i didn't got an offer from idealistic school because I applied too late, went to a nearby University Master degree for maintaining status, this year I got offer from the school I want to go to, but they told me they didn't receive the SEVIS code, I asked my current school, they told me they didn't received it from my school of bachelor degree(they forgot to ask me for that when I got accepted), I need to travel and reenter now. I have the new school's acceptance letter, will the reapplication for the visa and I-20 success?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Based on the information you provided, it seems that there was an oversight in the transfer of your SEVIS record from your bachelor's degree school to your current school, which has led to complications in transferring your SEVIS record to the new school you want to attend. This situation can be complex, and the outcome of your visa reapplication and I-20 issuance may depend on several factors.

Here are a few points to consider:

1. You should work with your current school's international student office to ensure that your SEVIS record is properly transferred from your bachelor's degree school. They should be able to guide you through the process and help you resolve any issues.

2. When you travel and reenter the United States, you will need to present a valid I-20 from the school you intend to attend, along with other required documents such as a valid passport, F-1 visa, and proof of financial support.

3. The success of your visa reapplication depends on various factors, including your previous compliance with F-1 regulations, the completeness and accuracy of your application, and the discretion of the consular officer reviewing your case.

4. It's essential to be transparent about your situation and provide all necessary documentation to demonstrate your eligibility for the F-1 status and your intention to study at the new school.

Given the complexity of your situation, it is highly recommended that you work closely with the international student offices at both your current school and the school you plan to attend. They can provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date guidance based on your specific circumstances. Additionally, if your case is particularly complex, you may want to consider seeking the advice of an experienced immigration attorney who specializes in F-1 student matters.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.