Bremerton, WA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Washington

Q: So, a former tenant was using my address to receive mail under different aliases and she had a bunch of stolen mail

If I turn her in, can I get in trouble

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you turn in your former tenant for using your address to receive stolen mail, you likely won't get in trouble, especially if you had no involvement in the illegal activities. Reporting her actions can actually help you distance yourself from any potential legal issues and show that you are cooperating with the authorities. It's important to provide all relevant information to law enforcement, including any evidence you have of her fraudulent activities.

Make sure to document everything, including any interactions you've had with her and any evidence of the stolen mail. This will help support your case and prove that you were not involved in the criminal behavior. Keeping thorough records can protect you in case there are any questions about your involvement.

Additionally, it might be beneficial to notify the postal authorities and any other relevant agencies about the situation. They can offer guidance on how to handle the mail that continues to arrive and may take additional steps to prevent further misuse of your address. Taking these actions demonstrates your commitment to resolving the issue and ensures you are doing everything possible to address the problem responsibly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.