Portland, OR asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for Oregon

Q: How do I show proof of service in polk County oregon. I am answering a summons and need to have proof of service.

Do I just mail a copy the response to the attorney suing me I am mailing to the court and note in the response who and where I mailed the copy?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Municipal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To show proof of service in Polk County, Oregon, you'll need to follow a few steps. First, after you prepare your response to the summons, you must serve a copy of it to the attorney representing the party suing you. This is typically done by mail.

When you mail your response to the attorney, make sure to also prepare a "Certificate of Service." This document should state who you served (the attorney), how you served them (by mail), and the date you did so. Include your name, the case number, and a brief statement confirming that you sent the documents.

Finally, you will file this Certificate of Service with the court along with your response to the summons. This serves as your proof that you have properly notified the other party. Make sure to keep copies of everything for your records. This way, the court will know that you have followed the correct procedure.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.