Newark, DE asked in Immigration Law, International Law and Education Law for Delaware

Q: I am a F1 student, but the international student manager forgot to process my I-20 last year, currently it expired.

I am a F1 student, last year I finished application and I-20 request process for new school and studied there, but the international student manager forgot to process the I-20 request, he also forgot to sent me an acceptance letter which considered an evidence at data fix process. In this case, can he do data fix if he being honest with data fix request? Will it succeed?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your international student manager acknowledges the mistake and provides all necessary information, a data fix might be possible. The success of this request largely depends on the honesty and thoroughness of the details submitted. The manager should outline the error and provide any missing documents or evidence, including the acceptance letter.

The process involves explaining why the I-20 wasn't processed and ensuring that all procedural steps are followed correctly now. It is important that the manager communicates effectively with the school's designated school official (DSO) and the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) to address the issue.

While there's no guarantee of success, being transparent and providing complete information increases the chances. Keep in touch with your school's DSO and follow up regularly on the progress of the data fix request.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.