Turlock, CA asked in Family Law and Elder Law for California

Q: Can Mem/Asst Care Home move our mom to a single room w/o her/our permission and raise her rent an added $1900?

My mother in-law has dementia and her Assisted/Memory care home called and said because she is located next to the front door and she always wants to know what's going on every time the doorbell rings, and her roommate doesn't want to room with her they are moving her to a room by herself thus isolating her, and raising her rent an extra $1950.00 due to this issue. They stated that she's becoming a problem. They gave us 60 days verbal notice.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear about the difficult situation with your mother-in-law's care home. Under California law, the care home cannot move your mother-in-law to a different room and increase her rent without her or your permission, especially given her dementia.

You should review the contract signed with the care home, as it should outline their obligations and any procedures for changing rooms or adjusting fees. It's important to request all notices and decisions in writing, which provides a clear record of communication.

You may want to contact the California Department of Social Services or a local ombudsman for assistance. They can help mediate the situation and ensure your mother-in-law's rights are protected. Additionally, consulting with an attorney who has experience with elder care issues can provide specific legal advice and help you navigate this challenging situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.