Chicago, IL asked in Immigration Law, Tax Law and Education Law for Illinois

Q: How should I file tax if my employer don’t issue me a W-2 since I’m a part time intern? I make hourly.

I got approved CPT by the school before started working. So everything is legal but I’m just worried about how should I file tax to avoid futures consequences.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your employer doesn't issue a W-2 because you're a part-time intern, you might be classified as an independent contractor. In this case, you should receive a Form 1099-NEC if your earnings exceed $600 in a year. Even if you don’t receive this form, you’re still responsible for reporting your income to the IRS.

To file your taxes, gather all your pay stubs or any records of the income you've earned. You'll need to report this income on your tax return using Schedule C (Profit or Loss from Business) along with Form 1040. Remember to also account for any expenses related to your work, as these can be deducted to reduce your taxable income.

If you have any questions or feel uncertain about the process, consider consulting a tax professional who can provide guidance tailored to your situation. This will help ensure you comply with tax laws and avoid any potential issues in the future.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.