Walden, NY asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for New York

Q: Unlawful entry to my home without asking. Police said nothing they could do can I sue

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If someone entered your home without your permission, you might have grounds to take legal action. Trespassing is generally considered a violation of your rights as a property owner or tenant. You can sue the person who unlawfully entered your home for trespassing, invasion of privacy, and any damages they caused.

It's important to document everything that happened. Take notes of the incident, gather any evidence like photos or videos, and keep records of any communication you have with the intruder. This documentation will be crucial if you decide to pursue a legal case.

You should consult with an attorney to discuss your situation in detail and understand your options. An attorney can help you determine the best course of action, whether it's filing a lawsuit or seeking another form of legal remedy. Your rights are important, and you have the option to protect them through the legal system.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.