Orange, CA asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for North Carolina

Q: I live in NC I have a dvpo against my abusive husband, who won't answer the door to be served

He has my boys, and they aren't going to school, and he is ignoring the law.How can they serve papers to get back I have a temporary custody order, and he doesn't work

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm sorry to hear about your situation. If your husband is avoiding service of the DVPO and temporary custody order, you have a few options to ensure he is served and you can regain custody of your children.

First, contact the local sheriff's department or law enforcement agency responsible for serving the papers. Inform them of the situation and provide any details about his whereabouts and behavior. They may be able to attempt service at different times or use alternative methods, such as serving him at a public location.

If law enforcement cannot serve the papers, you might need to request the court for alternative service methods. This can include posting the notice at his residence or publishing it in a local newspaper. Additionally, consult with your attorney to explore all legal avenues to enforce the temporary custody order and ensure your children's safety and well-being.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.