Redding, CA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for California

Q: Visitation granted to grandparent with no past bond or any connection. Now what?

No former relationship to grandson, the mother of the male counterpart to my dautghter (NCP), yet a judge granted four hours every other weekend. This is ludicris! my grandson has no knowledge of this woman. She is a stranger to him. No criteria, no bond, no contact attempted until now. I HAVE to stop this action before the very first visit! HELP!

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, grandparents can be granted visitation rights if it's in the child's best interest, but the court typically considers the existing relationship and bond. If your grandson has never met this grandparent and there has been no prior relationship, you can challenge the court's decision.

You should file an appeal or a motion to reconsider, arguing that forced visitation with a stranger could harm your grandson emotionally. Highlight the lack of prior contact, bond, and the sudden imposition of visitation, which might not be in the child's best interest.

Gather evidence and witnesses, if possible, to support your claim that this decision is not beneficial for your grandson. Consulting with a family law attorney can guide you through the legal process and help present a strong case to the court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.