Miami, FL asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Florida

Q: My wife has 2 children from a previous marriage. We want to move to Orlando. Her ex doesn't work and pays for none of

The kids Insurance or extracurricular activities. My family, her family, and even his family live in the Orlando area. They have 50/50 time with the kids. We have no idea how he pays his bills as he hasn't worked In over a year. What do we have to do to force him to let us move.

1 Lawyer Answer
Pamela J. Fero
Pamela J. Fero
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Try to talk with the kids' dad. Since you all have ties to Orlando, he might see the move as beneficial too. If he agrees, that's good! Just be sure to get that agreement in writing. If he’s not on board or things are a bit tricky, then you might need to petition the court for permission to relocate. Courts weigh these decisions heavily on what’s best for the kids, considering factors like the quality of life the move would offer them and how you plan to uphold the parenting relationship with their dad post-move.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.