Orlando, FL asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Florida

Q: I am currently still married to my daughter’s father we have been separated for four years. We have no custody agreement

My daughter lives with me and sees her father every other weekend and he has never paid child support. I want to move to Alabama so my daughter can grow up with her cousins since we have no family here. Getting a job wouldn’t be an issue and we could stay with family until finding a place to live. Would I be able to move without having to get permission? And would I have a good chance of being allowed to move?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you are still married then you both have equal rights over the child. Technically you can move without his permission; however, if he goes to the court you could be ordered to return. The better path is to either reach an agreement with him or go to court with a divorce/ relocation case. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.