Lakeland, FL asked in Education Law for Florida

Q: Do I have a case to sue the one or both institutions that acted negligently and caused damages to me and my academics

Despite repeated attempts to explain my financial situation via phone and email, UNF ultimately dropped me from the courses twice due to non-payment. My attempts to reach UNF for clarification and resolution were met with delays, unanswered emails, and limited or poor assistance. Notably, the final administrative drop occurred after I had already resolved the issue with my FAFSA and FSU's disbursement and all documents were shared with UNF and approved by both schools before this current drop.

The initial application and registration process at UNF were exceptionally time-consuming, forcing me to re-register and jeopardizing my ability to complete assignments in the first week of classes. I encountered administrative drops due to non-payment, despite repeated attempts to explain my finances via phone and email. Communication with UNF proved frustrating, with calls unanswered, unhelpful emails, and unhelpful information provided. Now I am un-enrolled, and I can't reach anyone.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: You may have grounds to pursue legal action if you can demonstrate that both institutions acted negligently and caused you significant damages. The issues with UNF, including being dropped from courses twice despite resolving your financial aid situation and the lack of effective communication, suggest potential administrative failings.

First, gather all documentation, including emails, phone records, and any other communications with UNF and FSU, to build a clear timeline of events. This will help establish the pattern of negligence and the impact on your academics. Make sure to include details about how these administrative issues have directly affected your ability to complete your coursework and progress in your studies.

Consult with an attorney who specializes in education law to discuss your case in detail. They can provide guidance on whether you have a strong case and the potential steps you can take. Legal action can be complex, so professional advice will be crucial in navigating this situation effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.