Dallas, TX asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: I went to court May 20th 2024 and the case is for judgment of possession the plantiff is briarwood apartments and I am

After the hearing and considering the evidence this court is of the opinion that the plantiff is entitled to possession of the property located at xx I am The defendant xx and this is the judgment of possession is a petition for forcible detainer it is ordering accordingly order decreed that plaintiff briarwood have and recover all xx and occupants rent in the amount of 6,484 the attorney fees for 900.50 and then it has on here about an supersedious Bond of 13,984 and then it says something about at the end of it says All relief requested herein and not expressly granted herein is HEREBY DENIED and this is a CDJ order judgment signed by judge xx in Dallas Texas but I got a letter on my door today in a red letter from the Dallas constables telling me that I have to leave tomorrow by 8:45 a.m. but I don't understand that the letter came in the mail on the 25th which was a Saturday of May 2024 it was a order judgmen

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: This sounds like an eviction case in which you have been evicted from the apartment. If the tenant does not filer an appeal, a writ of possession is issued ten days after the date the judgment was granted. That gives the tenant ten days to move out of the apartment. A writ of possession will be enforced by the appropriate Dallas constable's office. They commonly post a letter advising the tenant a day ahead of time so that the tenant can finish moving any remaining items out before the constable must remove the tenant from the premises by force if necessary. When the constable arrives with a writ of possession to enforce the court's order, the tenant is out of time to get any remaining stuff out. He will be removed from the premises, and any remaining personal property is treated as abandoned and will most likely be discarded or put out on the curb for bulk trash collection.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.