Iron River, MI asked in Identity Theft and Family Law for Michigan

Q: If someone files court papers with someone elses information is that identity theft

My boyfriends mom possibility filed court paperwork with his name against the mother of his child in regards to grandparenting rights, we are unsure if thats legal without his consent and what it falls under if it isnt legal. We guessed identity theft but we were unsure. We are currently trying to find out more information about who filed it, we just wanted to figure this out aswell if that is the case.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: It sounds, likely, that your boyfriend's mom filed a petition for grandparents rights on her own behalf. Such petition would necessarily allege her relationship to the child through your boyfriend, which is likely why he would be named in it.

If that is not the case - e.g., she filed a motion in his name and signed it in his name - that is a completely different issue that can be addressed in court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.