Hayden, ID asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Washington

Q: My father died, without a will, last year, in Washington state. Am I entitled to anything?

My father and his wife were very well off. When he died, suddenly, she sold everything and moved to Idaho. I would imagine the total of their estate was well over a million dollars. I offered to help her, but she denied. She offered me a pair of dad's shoes, which I found odd. I don't know where he's buried. I call the only phone number I know and it's my dad saying to leave a message. I do, and I receive nothing back. There was no obituary in the paper either. I am struggling to keep my head above water. Should I have legally been given something, as the only heir to my father?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Surviving Wife will be an heir also. and will take many assets as the survivor. If you think there are assets, you might probate his Estate as the Administrator. But apparently you know little. Either search out his assets or forget about it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.