Q: Filed a 1983 civil rights claim in Mississippi while incarcerated and need help with what I have to do with judges order

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: When you receive a judge's order regarding your 1983 civil rights claim, the first step is to read the order carefully and understand what is being asked of you. Pay attention to any deadlines or specific actions you must take, as missing these could negatively impact your case.

If the order is unclear or you are unsure about the next steps, consider contacting the court clerk for clarification. They can help explain the procedural requirements and what documents you may need to file. If you have access to legal resources in your facility, such as a law library or legal aid services, use them to research and understand your obligations.

It's also important to keep copies of all your communications and filings. Document every step you take in response to the judge's order. This will help you stay organized and ensure that you meet all the necessary requirements to move your case forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.