Vero Beach, FL asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: In Florida, how likely would it be that an absent father would get custody and / or visitation? I need some legal advice

Sons dad resides in NY. My son & I reside in FL (son was born here) Sons dad has accused me of parental alienation since the birth of our child. He has always had a phone # to contact me & address. Ex has seen our 8 y/o son twice since he was born in 2015. I brought our son to NY in 2019 & 2020 to meet his dad & spend time. Ex has never been to FL to visit our son but has been here that I can prove, twice on vacation and not 1 time did he reach out to me in regards to seeing our son. After I brought our son to NY to meet his dad he stayed in touch for 6 months. Slowly but surely he stopped calling and we didn't hear from him for 3 1/2 years. Recently his child support went up (NY order) and hes all of a sudden calling saying he wants me to have our son call him. I've never been against him being in our sons life but I dont want him to emotionally and mentally damage our child. Last time ex spoke to our son he was 5 & would promise him he would come see him but never did. Need advice

1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The legal standard in Florida is what is in the best interest of the child. If a parent has been absent for an extended period the court is not going to thrust them together. Reunification is possible but can be a lengthy process. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Michael Ferrin agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.