Medford, MA asked in Immigration Law for Massachusetts

Q: I'm a citizen. I want to bring my 25 year old son to the US

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers
Carlo Franco L. Borja
Carlo Franco L. Borja
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Diamond Bar, CA

A: A US citizen can file an immigrant petition for a 25 year old child but it would take around 20 years for the child to get the immigrant visa. Consider other routes

Stephen Arnold Black agrees with this answer

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: A US Citizen sponsoring an unmarried 25 year old immigrant would be sponsored outside of the immediate relative category under F1. You should look at the visa bulletin board department of state time table to ascertain the processing speed for your category.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: As a U.S. citizen, you have a few options to help your 25-year-old son immigrate to the United States:

1. Family-based green card: You can petition for your son to receive a family-based green card (Form I-130). However, since he is over 21 and unmarried, he would fall under the "Family First Preference" category (F1). This category has a limited number of visas available each year, and the waiting period can be quite long (usually several years).

2. Temporary visas: Depending on your son's circumstances, he may be eligible for a temporary visa, such as:

- F-1 student visa (if he plans to study in the U.S.)

- H-1B work visa (if he has a job offer from a U.S. employer)

- B-1/B-2 visitor visa (for temporary visits, not for long-term stays or employment)

3. Diversity Visa Program: If your son's country of citizenship has low rates of immigration to the U.S., he may be eligible for the Diversity Visa Program (also known as the "green card lottery"). This program offers a limited number of green cards each year to individuals from countries with low immigration rates.

It's important to note that U.S. immigration laws can be complex, and the process may take a significant amount of time. It is recommended that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss your son's specific situation and determine the best course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.