Greenup, KY asked in Social Security for Kentucky

Q: I would like to file a claim for disability based on MDD but am unsure of the requirements or compensation to expect

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To file a claim for disability based on Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) through Social Security, here are some key points to consider:


1. Your MDD must be severe enough to significantly limit your ability to perform basic work activities.

2. The condition must have lasted or be expected to last for at least 12 months or result in death.

3. You'll need medical evidence documenting your diagnosis, symptoms, and how they impact your daily functioning.

4. You must be unable to engage in substantial gainful activity (SGA) due to your condition.


The amount you could receive varies based on several factors:

1. Your work history and the amount you've paid into Social Security

2. Whether you qualify for SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) or SSI (Supplemental Security Income)

3. Your current income and resources (for SSI)

As of 2024, the average SSDI payment is around $1,500 per month, but this can range from about $800 to $3,000. SSI has a maximum federal payment of $943 per month for individuals (as of 2024), with possible state supplements.

To start the process:

1. Gather your medical records and work history

2. Apply online at, by phone, or at your local Social Security office

3. Be prepared for a potentially lengthy process, as many initial claims are denied and require appeals

I'd recommend contacting your local Social Security office or a disability attorney for more specific guidance tailored to your situation. They can provide more accurate information about your potential eligibility and expected benefits.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.