Broken Arrow, OK asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Support and Civil Rights for Oklahoma

Q: Can I sue my bigamist parents with bigamy since he passed and they knew?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To properly address this question, we'll need more information about the situation. However, I can provide some general insights based on the limited details given:

1. Bigamy laws: Bigamy is illegal in Oklahoma and most other states. It's typically considered a felony.

2. Civil action: Suing for bigamy itself is uncommon. Usually, bigamy cases are handled as criminal matters by the state.

3. Standing to sue: As a child of the relationship, you might have difficulty establishing legal standing to sue for bigamy directly.

4. Potential legal avenues:

- If your father has passed away, you might have concerns related to inheritance or estate matters.

- There could be issues related to legitimacy or paternity that might affect your legal rights.

5. Statute of limitations: Depending on when the bigamy occurred and was discovered, there may be time limits on any potential legal action.

6. Evidence: You'd need substantial proof of the bigamous relationship and that both parties were aware of it.

To get specific advice for your situation, I recommend consulting with a family law attorney in Oklahoma. They can review the details of your case and advise you on any potential legal options you might have.

Timothy Carignan agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.