Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New Mexico Adoption Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Probate for New Mexico on
Q: BIO father abanded me & died. Funeral home says I needed to sign to release body. Am I liable/entitled to anything?

He was never married; no common law in New Mexico--had Girlfriend of 15+ years; he never paid a dime of child support. I am 44 yrs old in Rhode Island born out of wedlock; father abandoned my mom when she was 3 months preg. in Rhode Island (never showed up the wedding rehearsal the night before the... View More

Ben F Meek III
Ben F Meek III
answered on Jun 15, 2018

You need to contact an experienced probate lawyer in your father's state. If I understand your statement correctly, you were the man's biological son but another person adopted you when you were a child. In some states, an adopted child can inherit from both his adopted and biological... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.