Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Patents (Intellectual Property) legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Alaska Patents (Intellectual Property) Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for Alaska on
Q: As a grandchild of my grandfather, who is now deceased , can I try to sell his patent with permission from his wife ?

My grandpa and his friend invented something and have had a patent. Is it possible for me , his grandchild , with permission from his wife , take over his half of the patent to try to sell it ?

Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn
answered on Dec 15, 2021

This is not really a patent question. This is a question under state law of whether your grandfather assigned the invention to another party. If he assigned his rights, you have nothing to license to anyone. If there was a contract, then maybe there is room to regain the rights.... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for Alaska on
Q: I'm researching existing prior art (using Google Patents), & I've been having a hard time with the "Application Events."

Here's an example:

2006-09-19: Application granted

2020-01-15: Application status is Expired - Fee Related

2024-05-04: Adjusted expiration

My question is re: the last two lines. Is the expiration truly now 2024, not 2020? I'm just not sure how those fields... View More

Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn
answered on Jan 15, 2020

Google is not the definitive record. If you have anything that looks odd, you need to go to the official record which is accessible by

I hope that this helps.

Kevin E Flynn

Q: My house is paid for and I want to get a patent on it under intellectual property can I do that?
Peter D. Mlynek
Peter D. Mlynek
answered on Oct 11, 2019


This is an example of a legal word having two different meanings. The word patent used to mean a right that was granted by the monarch or the government for something, including a right to hold some land, or the exclusive right to sell a certain product in the kingdom. Nowadays,...
View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.