Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Minnesota Immigration Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Minnesota on
Q: Hi. I have a question about changing my status and applying for green card based on marriage.

I'm from South Korean and right now I'm in the states with J1 visa participating in Aupair program. I came here in May 2018 and after one year, I extended the program for one more year. So I was going to be done with the program in May 2020 but then Covid19 broke out. So DOS allowed... Read more »

Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder
answered on Jul 14, 2020

You may remain in the USA and adjust through your USC spouse. Because your adjustment is through a USC immediate relative you will not be charged with any overstay or out of status time.

Your extension remains a lawful status.

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Minnesota on
Q: Can an alien that can work get unemployment because of covid 19 or will that effect his future immigration status
Adan Vega
Adan Vega
answered on Apr 25, 2020

Those who are not citizens can apply and receive unemployment benefits if all of the state requirements are fulfilled. You must have a valid work permit or any immigration status that allows you to work such as a green card, asylee, DACA or TPS status. You must be authorized to work at the time... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.