Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Tennessee Criminal Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and White Collar Crime for Tennessee on
Q: Are courts being more lenient on jail sentences with Covid? Hoping to get house arrest instead of jail time?
Sean Maye
Sean Maye answered on Nov 30, 2020

It depends on the facts of the case, your criminal history and the DA's and victims' positions on jail time. Generally, in the beginning of the pandemic, courts were leaning away from jail sentences and were letting a lot of people out of jail on already-imposed sentences. Now, though,... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee on
Q: Because of coronavirus is it a favorable time for some one to turn them self in over a probation violation ?
Shanone Emmack
Shanone Emmack answered on Nov 21, 2020

Yes you should turn yourself in but , before you do, call and find out what your bond is or if you will be released on your own recognizance (ROR). That way you can plan ahead and get in and out relatively quickly. Good Luck!

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Collections for Tennessee on
Q: 39-13-101(a)(3)i work @ a rent to own company i placed my foot in a customers door. My intention maintain contact. good?

after 30 mins of waiting on his porch after contact was broke i knocked on the door. he answered, we said a few things, not argumentative, just discussing his options return or pay. i propped my foot in the door to prevent him from closing the door and ending contact. my intentions for doing that... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Jul 27, 2020

Hire a competent attorney to represent you on the Assault Charge. You will need to prepare for a Preliminary Hearing. Unless there are other facts than what you have set out, I would not agree to Diversion but try it if it is not dismissed after the Prelim. Do not have any contact/communication... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Tennessee on
Q: Can I sue a rehab facility for misplacing or “accidentally disposing” of my mother’s bag containing her necklace?

My mother wore the necklace all the time. During the Coronavirus lockdown of her facility, she put it in the side compartment of a luggage bag, because I wasn’t allowed to visit to pick it up. When I picked up her belongings after she passed, the bag was missing.

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Apr 20, 2020

You will need a competent attorney to evaluate your possible Case of Conversion. Evidence that the necklace existed and was stored in a certain place will be necessary. Heresay will not work. The value will have to be shown, which will probably be questioned. Your standing will be important.... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee on
Q: I live in Memphis TN, but my license got suspended in NC. I can’t get my licence now, DMV is closed due to the pandemic

Will i get out the same day or will i be incarcerated for a certain amount of time or pay a fine? If i have to pay fine, approximately how much do they range from?

Shanone Emmack
Shanone Emmack answered on Apr 1, 2020

If you have a citation for driving on suspended then you will need to be booked before your court date.

But, things are different right now with the coronavirus. You should call the jail and ask them what they want you to do. I would also call the clerk's office to get your court...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.