Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Daniel J. Krause
1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Wisconsin on
Q: In Wisconsin is it legal to sign your real estate over to a relative prior to your death?

It used to be that it had to be a number of years prior to death. But someone told me that you can not do it at all any more.

Daniel J. Krause
Daniel J. Krause
answered on Jul 20, 2017

You can sign your house over to anyone you like at any time. However, if you do this, it will affect your eligibility for Medicaid for 5 years. If you apply for Medicaid benefits (to pay for Nursing Home care, for instance) within 5 years of gifting your home (or anything else), you will incur a... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Wisconsin on
Q: My mother-in-law (age 75) would like to pay off her daughter's mortgage ($110K). Loan vs Gift?

My sister-in-law collects SSI for a special needs son. If she is given the money, it will disqualify her for SSI. My mother-in-law has suggested a low or no interest loan that would be forgiven in her will. They live in Wisconsin. What are the legal issues that need to be considered.

Daniel J. Krause
Daniel J. Krause
answered on Jul 20, 2017

This is a very interesting question. Because a person's home does not count against their eligibility for SSI, your mother-in-law might be able to give her daughter a home, or pay the mortgage. Though it would take a bit more looking into, the gift of mortgage money seems like a safe gift. For... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Wisconsin on
Q: Is an inheritence of home sales funds, annuity or trust funds taxable?

The inheritence will come from Illinois and we live in WI

Daniel J. Krause
Daniel J. Krause
answered on Jun 2, 2011

The answer to this question depends on a few things: 1-the size of the entire estate, including life insurance, IRAs, real estate, etc. If the estate was large enough to have an estate tax, then the tax will have to be paid before you get the property. 2- what year did the decedent die? This is... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.