Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Jennifer McKinnish
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Tennessee on
Q: Do I have to file a foreign divorce decree here in the US to have the divorce recognized? It's been apostilled by TN SoS

I married my ex wife, who lives in Israel, in the US. Our divorce was finalized in Israel. I have had them apostilled by the Secretary of State in TN already but I'm not sure if I need to file them with the court here to have it recognized before I can get remarried.

Jennifer McKinnish
Jennifer McKinnish pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on May 6, 2024

The Hague Convention is an international treaty that provides, if your country is a party to the Hague Convention, a process to protect children whose parents are divorced or separated and move between countries. Typically, a divorce decree issued in a foreign country is recognized in the United... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.