Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by James Williams Hart
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for North Carolina on
Q: How can I get my ex husband to follow through with our vehicle property notice?

While we were separated my ex and I created a vehicle property notice agreement which we both signed and had notarized prior to our divorce. He was to get the car refi'd in his name or sell it and pay the difference on the loan as of 12/5. He has not followed up with his end of the agreement.... View More

James Williams Hart
James Williams Hart
answered on Dec 21, 2018

If you do not file for equitable distribution prior to having your divorce entered, then you waive the right to have the family court decide this issue. However, since you have a written agreement, you may still be able to seek relief in the form of a breach of contract claim. I would recommend... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce for North Carolina on
Q: In an uncontested divorce case, where defendant filed no answer, is it unusual not to have a hearing after 3 months?

The waiting period in my divorce case expired nearly 3 months ago. I am the defendant. How long can plaintiff wait before scheduling a hearing?

James Williams Hart
James Williams Hart
answered on Dec 21, 2018

I slightly disagree with Amanda. Whether or not you can calendar the case will depend on the rules in your county. You can file an answer agreeing with all the allegations and then file either your own motion for summary summary judgment (which you could calendar since it's your motion) or you... View More

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.