Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Daniel Hilf
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Michigan on
Q: my wife and i had an argumentative, shoving match that caused me to be arrested and charged 2 DV.

no charges was pressed and it involved our 14 yr old niece who is already on house arrest. now cps is involved but because i cannot have contact with neither, i don't know what to expect at trial. nor do i know what the niece may have said to cps. i work in public school system, therefore i... Read more »

Daniel Hilf
Daniel Hilf answered on Aug 22, 2018

Your question is not 100% clear. The first sentence indicates that you were "arrested and charged 2 DV". The second sentence indicates that "no charges were pressed". The question also indicates that there is CPS involvement.

Is this case being pursued in a district...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Criminal Law for Michigan on
Q: My brother was arrested for owing $50,000 in child support. What is the possibility of him doing jail/prison time?
Daniel Hilf
Daniel Hilf answered on Aug 20, 2018

A lot depends upon his Judge, your brother's prior record, and his sentencing guidelines. In most cases, the Court is more interested in payment. If the Court imposes a probationary sentence, they have an opportunity to hold jail or prison over his head if he does not make payments. He... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.