Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Brandon S. Dornbusch
2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Michigan on
Q: My grandfather added me to his home with a quit claim dead a year ago. He was added about 20 years prior with a quit

Claim by my grandmother who has since passed. He’s is ill and I’m trying to figure out how I can sell the home without paying taxes on it since she paid $45000. 50 years ago but has since refinanced and owes $120000. The selling price would be between $300000 and $350000. Im located in Michigan... View More

Brandon S. Dornbusch
Brandon S. Dornbusch pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jun 6, 2024

Without reviewing the deeds, which would be necessary to give a definitive answer, assuming your grandfather was added to the deed as a joint-tenant-with-right-of survivorship, he received a half step-up in income tax (capital gain) basis when your grandmother died. Since then, it's likely the... View More

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.