Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Terrence James O'Sullivan
2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Collections for Florida on
Q: I got sentenced to 10 years on a trafficking charge in 2012, with that conviction was a $100,000 fine. When I went

to prison I filed an appeal. I won my appeal and my conviction was overturned. When I got home from prison I had to start paying on the fine, I've been paying $75 a month for the last 4 years. I know I shouldn't be paying the fine, how do I go about not paying anymore and getting my money... Read more »

Terrence James O'Sullivan
Terrence James O'Sullivan
answered on Feb 5, 2020

I think it depends on the appellate decision and what exactly was “overturned”. A lawyer would have to review your file and likely, if applicable, file a motion in court to address the issue. I hope this helps.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.