Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Dr. Maudia Norman Washington
2 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Illinois on
Q: I had a tenant break lease early and refuses to pay the termination fee in the contract she signed.

There was a two week notice clause in the rental contract ($300). She up and left then said she would pay me but still is giving me the run around, what legal recourse do I have? There is also a section in the contract that states she will cover legal fees if we go to court.

Dr. Maudia Norman Washington
Dr. Maudia Norman Washington pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Aug 10, 2020

Excellent question. Based upon the information you provided, you may have a cause of action to sue her for breach of contract/early termination. Your contractual agreement will govern whether you can seek attorney's fees. You have stated that there is a provision in the lease agreement where... View More

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.