Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Thomas Howard
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Illinois on
Q: I agreed to let a friend use my car for 2 days. After 2 days, my friend informed me he was not returning my car.

He has refused repeated instructions to return my car. Can I file a police report?

Thomas Howard
Thomas Howard pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Mar 27, 2019

Yes, that's conversion of your property to his own. You gave him the authority to use the car, not gifted it to him. Tell the cops - if they don't get your car back, you can replevin it - but that's silly the police should go get it. Tell him to return it by such and such date, or... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.