Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Brent J Huff
2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Utah on
Q: What's the statue of limitations?

I went to a grocery store in 2013 and they accused me of stealing some pens but they just said to leave and to never come back which I didn't until today so can the company still file charges even though it's been so long?

Brent J Huff
Brent J Huff answered on Aug 11, 2019

2 years for a misdemeanor. 4 for a felony. So the theft allegation from 2013 would be past the statute. However, a trespass charge could be filed for returning.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Utah on
Q: Can I get charged post fact?

I let my friend drive my car to pick me up from a party. I was extremely intoxicated. He got pulled over and had weed in the car. He claimed ownership over it and let the officer know it was his. The officer gave him a possession charge. My question is can I get charged after the fact as it was my... Read more »

Brent J Huff
Brent J Huff answered on Jan 21, 2019

Technically, yes. However, the facts as you have provided them might not create probable cause to charge you with possession. The existence of weed in your car without you, does not on it's own, meet the definition of the crime. With that said, if the prosecutor's office has reason to... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.