Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Jean Richardson
4 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Florida on
Q: in Fl if i gave info to a private detective before signing a confidential agreement can they do anything with it?

I gave too much info to the *private* detective and am worried that he will report some friends to the police because i mentioned potentially illegal activities they performed. I did not sign a confidentiality agreement and he wrote it all down on a notepad he was reluctant to get rid of the... Read more »

Jean Richardson
Jean Richardson answered on Feb 7, 2020

There is zero confidentiality between you and that private detective because he does not work for you or an attorney that you hired. If you make statements against yourself, that is an admission. If you make statements against someone else, that is hearsay, with some potential exceptions.... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Florida on
Q: Three months ago i was taken back for child support and nothing changed. Now she wants to try the court. Can she?

Child support said the amount was fine. Now she wants to try the court. I also pay her insurance, co Pay for insurance, cell phone and half of any other expense she has. Glasses, prom, trips exc.

Jean Richardson
Jean Richardson answered on Feb 6, 2020

There has to be an exceptional change in circumstances for the court to make changes to child support. Is there an exceptional change in circumstance? It sounds to me like she is forum shopping. If DOR says the amount you are paying is fair and reasonable, I don't think a court will overrule... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Florida on
Q: I was put on a.o. registry for ten yrs in Iowa. I moved to fl now they say I have to register for life.
Jean Richardson
Jean Richardson answered on Feb 6, 2020

If you were adjudicated for a crime such as a sex offense that requires registration as a sex offender, unfortunately; you must register in any new state that you relocate to. There are strict statutory guidelines that you must follow. If you don't register as required, you can be charged with... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Florida on
Q: Is it possible to write the judge a letter pleading my case in DUI, I have a public defender who has not been helpful
Jean Richardson
Jean Richardson answered on Feb 5, 2020

You can always write to the Judge, but be careful because there is no attorney/client privilege between you and the Judge. In other words, you might be incriminating yourself. I suggest you speak to your attorney or request another Public Defender if you cannot afford to hire a private attorney.... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.