Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Fredreck S Hudgens
1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Texas on
Q: If a seller lies and fails to disclose an IRS tax lien on a property is there any recourse for the buyer?

We have been under contract for 4 months now waiting for the IRS / seller to resolve. The seller is now indicating they don't want to extend the contract because it is taking too long. Interest rates have gone up by .5% and the seller has indicated they can relist it and get an additional 30K.... View More

Fredreck S Hudgens
Fredreck S Hudgens
answered on Feb 28, 2022

If an encumbrance is discovered on the title to the property after opening title, your recourse is to ask the seller to remove the encumbrance, being the lien, cancel the transaction and receive your earnest money refund, or buy the property with the lien in place. Your written contract provides... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.