Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Jason B. Stephens
3 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for Texas on
Q: Can I file a civil suit against a bar that over served, and resulted in the death of my brother?

My brother was extremely over served at a bar in Texas. He left and, approximately 12 minutes later, had an accident resulting in his death. Could my mother and I file a civil suit against the establishment that over served him?

Jason B. Stephens
Jason B. Stephens pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Feb 21, 2020

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother. Yes, your mom my indeed have a claim if it can be proven that your brother was over served and obviously intoxicated. One way to perhaps prove this is to get a copy of your brother's credit card charges from that evening. If he was putting the... View More

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.