Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by John L. GreenLeaf Jr.
1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation for Illinois on
Q: How do I know if I should create an LLC for my company? What are the downsides?
John L. GreenLeaf Jr.
John L. GreenLeaf Jr.
answered on Aug 3, 2017

This question is very complex for a short answer. Some general considerations are: do you need protection of your personal assets from potential business debts or liabilities; are there investors who do not wish to participate in the day to day activities but wish to invest and share in profits or... View More

3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Illinois on
Q: I always hear bankruptcy referred to as a 'clean slate'. Does it really get rid of every debt I owe?
John L. GreenLeaf Jr.
John L. GreenLeaf Jr.
answered on May 16, 2017

Most types of debts are discharged in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. These debts are typical consumer type debts. There are certain exceptions to discharge which are set forth by statute. These include but are not limited to certain taxes, child support obligations, intentional torts, fraudulent... View More

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Illinois on
Q: If I apply for a CH 7, but the court says I'd lose my house, can I quit the Ch7 and do a Ch13?

Or wd I be locked into a Ch 7 once applied for this route? Bigger question: once I file for Ch7, can I quit any time or am I obliged to continue w/ it?

ANother question implied here: If I apply for a ch 7 and find I 'd lose the house in a sale, can I negotiate with the ch 7 trustee to... View More

John L. GreenLeaf Jr.
John L. GreenLeaf Jr.
answered on Apr 17, 2017

You generally may convert to a chapter 13 while in a chapter 7. There are time limits and other limitations which should be discussed with a competent bankruptcy lawyer to answer that question in your specific factual circumstances.

Once you file a chapter 7 you may not dismiss. There are...
View More

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.