Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Stuart A. Young
2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Florida on
Q: The question is using the Federal Bankruptcy Wildcard Exemption with the unused portion of the homestead exemption

If I am not a homeowner but rather I rent, am I still eligible to use the unused portion of the homestead exemption with the federal wild card exemption or must you own a home to even qualify to be given that option... Thank You

Stuart A. Young
Stuart A. Young answered on Aug 31, 2020

The enhanced personal property exemption or "wild card" was designed to be used for people who do not claim a homestead exemption because they rent or live with somebody or just don't own a home for any reason. Interestingly, you can own a mobile home and also get the enhanced... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Real Estate Law for Florida on
Q: We filed a bankruptcy in 2015 and was discharged in sept 13th 2016 we repaid creditors . we had our primary residence 1

investmnt fast forward to 2020 we want to apply for a loan do we use our discharge date or the forclosure date from the investment property ?

Stuart A. Young
Stuart A. Young answered on Aug 27, 2020

It typically takes about a two year period from the date of the filing of your case (not discharge) in order to be approved for a FNMA or VA mortgage. Your mortgage broker may have a different opinion of course and these policies do change from time to time. I wish you the best of luck in... Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for Florida on
Q: I am in need of Bankruptcy Layer

2 years out of work and finally received SSI Diasbility but deeply in dept.

Stuart A. Young
Stuart A. Young answered on Aug 27, 2020

Sorry to hear about your disability. Whatever amount you get is seldom enough to survive on.

You should definitely get an attorney but some attorneys offer a free consultation (at least I do).

Even if money to hire a lawyer is tight you can always file a Chapter 13 case with a...
Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.