Juvenile Law Questions & Answers

Q: What can be done for a 16 year old seeking emancipation? There is a possibility of emotional and mental abuse involved.

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Missouri on
Answered on Apr 22, 2019
Lydia Seifner's answer
You do not have the legal capacity to decide where you wish to live until you are 18. You may qualify for emancipation if you are able to financially support yourself, in which case you should talk to an attorney to assist you in filing for legal emancipation.

If you cannot support yourself, and your home is unsafe, then you need to contact social services so they can place you in a stable environment. If found as a runaway, before you engage with social services, you will either...

Q: Can a minor in Illinois own property?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Illinois on
Answered on Apr 18, 2019
James G. Ahlberg's answer
In a legal sense, no, particularly in the sense of a vehicle or other item requiring an actual title. If a minor was left property in a will it is typically held for the minor's benefit by someone appointed by the court as a guardian of their estate for that purpose, for example.

Q: I was arrested for Cont. To Delinquency Minor when my 18 year old son got a pub intox

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Apr 14, 2019
Keegan Kelley Harroz's answer
You should hire a criminal defense attorney immediately.

Q: Has the law been altered as of 2019?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Consumer Law, Contracts and Juvenile Law for Michigan on
Answered on Apr 13, 2019
Trent Harris' answer
There isn’t an age minimum, but if you’re a minor you’ll need your parent to come with you to the tattoo shop and give permission.

Here is a link to Michigan’s law on tattooing minors. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(a1v3sujz11rki0tfhjvedhzc))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-333-13102

Also, tattoo shops are free to set their own rules about the minimum age of someone they tattoo. My recommendation is to wait until you’re older. A tattoo is forever, and not...


1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Domestic Violence and Juvenile Law for Texas on
Answered on Apr 10, 2019
Kiele Linroth Pace's answer
Anyone can get in trouble for anything. A more important question is can you get OUT of trouble. In this situation it sounds like you may have justifications for self defense in Penal Code 9.31 and possibly also discipline of a child under PC 9.61 (if her parents wanted you to look after her.)

If you are arrested, getting yourself out of trouble may be time-consuming and expensive... but it sounds like you've got a fact pattern that a skilled criminal defense attorney could use as...

Q: Can I trust a court-appointed defender in Dekalb County, where DFACS has unlawfully taken my 22-month-old daughter?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Georgia on
Answered on Apr 10, 2019
P. Justin Thrailkill's answer
You can trust the public defender. I will tell you that you aren't the first I've heard make those allegations against DeKalb DFCS. Right or wrong, you will have the opportunity to address these allegations in court. Take advantage of the ability to have a public defender. If you are unhappy with their services, contact private counsel to take over.

Q: I recently ranaway, but my family took my dog and went to txs. I thought they were gonna keep him, but they gave him awa

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon on
Answered on Apr 7, 2019
Joanne Reisman's answer
There isn't an easy answer that someone can give you on the internet after just reading a short statement. On the one hand, if you have proof of ownership you might still have rights. On the other hand if you abandoned your dog that might amount to animal neglect and your family or your CPS worker giving your dog to someone who could care for the dog was actually doing you a big favor. You also have to think of the dog. The dog has the right to have a stable home with consistent care and...

Q: I’m legally disabled. Can DFCS or Juvenile court treat me differently?

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law, Family Law and Civil Rights for Georgia on
Answered on Apr 5, 2019
Homer P Jordan IV's answer
I'm sorry you are going through this, as it sounds like a difficult time. I'm not sure what you mean about them treating you differently. You could discuss this issue with them, or with an attorney who can review the facts in detail and present you with options. Your child missed school due to his/her depression or your depression? There are unanswered questions here. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558 HomerJordan.com

Q: Want my daughter back, my father has sole custody. Hearing was done in Ala, while I was in hospital.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Florida on
Answered on Apr 3, 2019
Denise Martinez-Scanziani's answer
You've posted this question for a Florida lawyer, but it seems that you should ask a lawyer licensed to practice in AL. If that is where the child is, that is the state who will have jurisdiction over your daughter.

Q: If a mother did not complete anything asked and judge issued no contact order, how hard would terminating rights be

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Tennessee on
Answered on Apr 1, 2019
Anthony Marvin Avery's answer
Terminating a Parent's Rights is always difficult. The Couple can file a Petition for Adoption which must be served on the Mother as it is attempting to terminate her rights. The Couple must also be fit and proper Parents as they will be scrutinized also by various Parties, Agencies, etc. If successful, the Father will no longer receive Child Support.

Q: i (an 18 year old) live with my parents and they say they have the right to all of my things even if i paid for them

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights, Juvenile Law and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Answered on Mar 31, 2019
Doak Willis' answer
You are an adult at age 18. Anything you purchased with your own money is your property no matter where you live. Even if your parents gave you money as a gift or you earned it, anything you purchase with those proceeds is your property.

Q: Are there laws against an adult getting into a fight with a minor? Or would it depend on the circumstances.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Answered on Mar 28, 2019
Matthew Williams' answer
The assault laws generally prohibit anyone getting into a fight with anyone unless it’s part of a mutually consented to sporting event like a boxing match.

Q: How can a woman that was married to a man for 8.5 years, marry again and give child first husbands last name?

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Juvenile Law for Missouri on
Answered on Mar 28, 2019
Lydia Seifner's answer
As long as you and the child's father are in agreement, you can give your child whatever name you want.

Q: Is a 12 year old allowed to get a tattoo with only 1 parents consent, if the other parent disagrees and doesnt consent?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Pennsylvania on
Answered on Mar 27, 2019
Kathryn Hilbush's answer
Boy, that's not a good idea on so many levels. However, based on a quick Google search, it seems that PA has no minimum age limit for getting a tattoo as long as a parent or legal guardian is present and grants permission. If you share legal custody of the child, the mother may have violated that aspect of the order but, honestly, I don't know what the court would do about it other than chastise her.

Q: Can DSS question my girlfriends daughter without her present if she tells them not to with out her thete

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for North Carolina on
Answered on Mar 25, 2019
Amanda Bowden Houser's answer
Yes, they can - especially if the child is school age. They will just roll up in there without you present and question away - all with the likely gleeful help of the child's teacher and principal. If you are smart and have instructed the child not to speak to people. They will essentially use terror interrogation to attempt to scare the child into talking - all quite a disgusting practice in my opinion. It is critical that you explain to the child not to say anything under any...

Q: Im 17 years old i live in missouri. What would happen or whT could my parents do if i leave home?

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Missouri on
Answered on Mar 24, 2019
Lydia Seifner's answer
If you leave home before you are 18, your parents could call the police and report you as a runaway. Once found you could end up in juvenile detention. You can become legally emancipated if you can financially support yourself. However, if you cannot obtain permission to leave home, and you cannot financially support yourself, then you are going to have to wait it out until you are a little older.

Q: What is the least to most each could be charged by the legal system?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Ohio on
Answered on Mar 21, 2019
Matthew Williams' answer
If they were charged, which is far from a certainty, they could face felony charges for making and distributing child pornography, which would expose them to discretionary transfer to adult court (unlikely but possible) and years in prison. It’s far more likely they would given a probationary sentence in juvenile court particularly if the case is competently handled by an attorney. If there’s any chance they may be charged, they should have lawyers and should not talk to anyone about this...

Q: I'm planning on running away from home and my aunt has offered to help me. Can she help me without being charged?

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Georgia on
Answered on Mar 20, 2019
Regina Irene Edwards' answer
It is a crime to interfere with a parent's custodial rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.