Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Stephen LeRoy Cale

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Oklahoma on

Q: Can someone else fill out a protective order for me to sign?

Stephen LeRoy Cale answered on Sep 22, 2018

Yes. There is nothing wrong with that. Many times a domestic violence intervention worker in some counties will fill out the paperwork for you to sign. Keep in mind that you are signing the document under oath. Make sure the content is correct before signing it.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma on

Q: Marijuana was seized in my home on a search warrant for something totally different can I be charged for that

Stephen LeRoy Cale answered on Jun 29, 2018

If the officers have a valid search warrant and the contraband was in plain view within the allowable area of the search, then you could be charged.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma on

Q: If you did not report when given a 9 mo supervision after released, what are the possible ramifications

Stephen LeRoy Cale answered on Jun 26, 2018

Your probation/parole could be revoked.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma on

Q: Does a suspended sentence automatically come with probation.(parph, poss.of used baggies)

Asst. D.A. approached all defendants w/o attys. At court date and got most with misdemeanors to sign. Some had bailed out,they were not eligible for free atty,even when destitute n family had pooled money and bailed out the defendant.

Stephen LeRoy Cale answered on Jun 19, 2018

If you hire a lawyer, sometimes you can get a deferred sentence. It's like a suspended sentence EXCEPT at the end of the probation, the case is dismissed and the record expunged. Because the case is dismissed, there is no conviction.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma on

Q: I had my vehicle and property seized during a traffic stop and need to know if I can get a list of the inventory seized

Stephen LeRoy Cale answered on Jun 16, 2018

The officer conducting the inventory will make a list. You should be able to get a copy of the list.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Oklahoma on

Q: Must a victim agree to file charges for domestic abuse or can the police file on their own?

Police were called by third party who witnessed and they gave statements saying they saw the abuse. Victim confirmed abuse but no arrest was made that night, victim left to stay with extended family. This also took place in front of their minor child

Stephen LeRoy Cale answered on Jun 9, 2018

The victim does not have to agree. The police will turn in a report to the district attorney's office, who will decide whether to file charges.

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma on

Q: If I were to get in a car with the understanding there wasn't anything in the car and find out way late is it possession

I asked my ride to leave anything illegal before we left my house she said she would not bring anything wasn't til I was 70 miles from home when she broke out a pipe . we was picked up by police

Stephen LeRoy Cale answered on May 28, 2018

In order to be guilty of a possession crime, you have to knowingly and intentionally possess the item (drugs, drug paraphernalia, etc.).

The law recognizes two kinds of possession, actual possession and constructive possession.

A person who knowingly has direct physical control over...
Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.