Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Paul J. Ferns
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Rhode Island on
Q: I moved out of the marital home 5 months ago. my husband says I am responsible for 1/2 of the household bills until a

a divorce is final. I am not on the mortgage and all the vehicles are in his this true?

Paul J. Ferns
Paul J. Ferns answered on Aug 12, 2015

If no divorce action has been filed then you are not legally obligated to pay. However, depending upon how the divorce case resolves, you may be obligated to pay some money towards the mortgage if you ultimately are going to receive money from the equity in the house. If there is no money coming to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce on
Q: my ex has his taxes withheld due to back child support. When it is released will I receive it in a lump sum?
Paul J. Ferns
Paul J. Ferns answered on Aug 12, 2015

Yes you should. If not, call the bookkeeping office in Providence at 458-3100 and ask the status of the tax refund payment. Make sure you have your case number available.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Rhode Island on
Q: I had a case on December 12, 2014 and they've had three continuances my next case is July 29 is it failure to prosecute?

This was a felony embezzlement over 100 which I haven't spoken to anybody yet about but there's been three continuances February 16 May 7 and now July 29 I'm wondering if this is failure to prosecute if I could get the charge drop

Paul J. Ferns
Paul J. Ferns answered on Aug 12, 2015

You can absolutely file a Motion to Dismiss for failure to prosecute. However, it's ultimately up to the Judge hearing the motion as to whether or not to grant or deny your motion. Depending upon why your case is being continued will ultimately be the deciding factor. If the State is merely... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.