Compton, CA asked in Family Law for California


Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Hong Shen

  • Westlake Village, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I think you meant to ask whether the husband can get the ring back from wife if the marriage breaks up. The answer is probably yes. In California, courts view wedding ring as a condition gift upon completion of the marriage. If there is no marriage then the husband is entitled to the ring. However, if the husband is responsible for the breakup then he is not entitled. You may take a look of civil code 1590 for more details.

1 user found this answer helpful

Mr. David Thomas Pisarra

  • Santa Monica, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you mean the actual gold band, "Wedding Ring", once the wedding has happened, it is hers to keep. It is a gift.

If you mean the Big Diamond "Engagement Ring" that cost you three months salary - if the wedding happens it's hers. If the wedding doesn't happen, it should be returned.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.