Oklahoma, OK asked in Land Use & Zoning for Oklahoma

Q: What are the things you can be paid for in Iminent Domain by the Dept. of Transportation

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Jarod Morris
Mr. Jarod Morris
  • Oklahoma City, OK

A: A landowner is to be paid "just compensation" by the government when the government takes the land by eminent domain. In the 10th Circuit (which includes Oklahoma), the determination is made by "market value." A lot of factors go into this, especially if only part of the property is taken such as through an easement, or something the Dept. of Transportation has done limits the use of the land rather than actually taking the land away from the owner. If you have further questions, just ask.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.