San Diego, CA asked in Family Law for California

Q: My husband filed a false TRO against me. I missed the hearing b/c the wrong address was on the paperwork. I scheduled an

Ex-parte hearing for this monday morning to see the judge but am wondering if I need to go about this another way such as filing a motion to dismiss or something to that effect. Or do I just go in front of the judge and explain my case?? Also I want to note that the FRO has not been served on me yet. I don't now if that makes any difference or not.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. David Thomas Pisarra
Mr. David Thomas Pisarra
  • Santa Monica, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Just go explain your case, and if the judge wont dismiss the TRO then you will need to see an attorney who specializes in Family Law to help you.

This is a very sad case, as the Domestic Violence Restraining ORders can have long term effects on work, your civil rights and if you have children, child custody and how often, if at all, you see your children.

That's why I wrote my book, A Man's Guide To Domestic Violence, available on, and as an e-book download.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.