California, CA asked in Family Law for California

Q: A 22 year old child with no support order or established paternity, any potential back support?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Mr. David Thomas Pisarra

  • Santa Monica, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Nope.

The right to child support ends with the child becoming 18, if there is no previous order, you cannot get one.

For more information about child custody and support, my book A Man's Guide To Child Custody is available on, and as an ebook at

Ute Ferdig

  • Newcastle, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Child support can only be ordered retroactive to the date of the filing of the motion for child support. Since you can't receive child support for a 22 year old child, even if paternity had been established, you would not be able to get a child support order now.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.