Pasadena, CA asked in Family Law for California

Q: How do I submit evidence in a child custody case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. David Thomas Pisarra
Mr. David Thomas Pisarra
  • Santa Monica, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Evidence must be admissible before you can submit it. It must have a foundation laid for its authenticity and trustworthiness.

These are highly technical areas and lawyers spend a year in law school just to learn the basics, and then years in practice to perfect it.

The basic process is to have a piece of evidence "Marked as Exhibit 1", it is then authenticated by someone who is testifying to its contents, a foundation for the document must be laid, then once a foundation exists, it can be "Admitted in to evidence".

I would suggest that if you have important evidence you need in your case, you should consult with an attorney to develop a "script" for how you want to prove your evidence.

Best of luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.