Gore, OK asked in Collections for Oklahoma

Q: A collector is trying to sue me for a debt that is over the statute of limitations. What do i do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Jarod Morris
Mr. Jarod Morris
  • Oklahoma City, OK

A: Have you already been served with the Petition and Summons? Is this a small claims matter? Is the amount over $6,000? (Don't write back with the amount, just say yes or no.) Did you receive discovery (i.e., requests for admission, requests for production of documents and/or interrogatories)?

If you have been served, you only get 20 days to respond unless you file an appearance and reserve an additional 20 days. You don't want it to go into a default judgment. While these can be set aside, some are not and it takes more work by an attorney to get it set aside.

I can provide a better answer if you provide additional details.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.