Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oklahoma Collections Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Collections and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: ) I have questions regarding the validity of a judgement in Canadian Co. from 2009 that according

To the title company would be subject to being satisfied from my portion of the real estate equity, just recently having acquired, in a joint tenancy along with my sister and one of their spouses, days prior to my moms death she requested we file a deed transferring ownership. The judgement is in... Read more »

James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr answered on Apr 15, 2021

Judgments can be liens on real property of the judgment debtor once they are filed of record. Generally, the lien lasts for 5 years but they can be extended for successive 5 year periods. You would have to consult with an attorney with all of your documents to determine if the judgment is still a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: I separated from my ex husband years ago but left the electric bill in my name am i still responsible for it?

hes passed away and left me with about $600 in passed due bills

Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean answered on Mar 10, 2021

You are still responsible to the utility company. If you ever file for divorce, remember to ask to be reimbursed for any amount that you paid.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: Can credit card companies use plaintiff's different names when suing for credit card debt?

My girlfriend divorced about 3 years ago. Recently, a bank brought two different suits against her for two different credit card debts from when she was married. In one case the bank used her maiden name which she now goes by. But in the second case the bank used her former married name which... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 11, 2021

An Oklahoma attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks. As a GENERAL matter, a claimant could use various forms of the defendant's name to cover all bases. This could also including using "A/K/A" in the caption. An Oklahoma attorney could offer the most... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Real Estate Law, Banking and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: can a por person had legal counsel for a divorce
Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden answered on Jun 26, 2020


1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: I negotiated a garnishment from the usual 25%, which added up to $264 every two weeks, to $100 every two weeks.

How long from the judge signing the order does the collection company have to implement the order?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jun 25, 2020

3-4 weeks.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: Were my rights violated?

I went to court unrepresented, the judge was upset with that and locked me up. I do not recall any formal reason from him other than that. I stayed in jail for two weeks just to qualify for public representation. I wasn't given forms to file for one until the district attorney was called and... Read more »

Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan answered on Jan 21, 2020

most judges are reasonable and quite tolerant in terms of giving you time to secure private counsel to represent you if you bond out of jail. I suspect the judge gave you more than one chance to show up with an attorney and you were either unable to secure one you could afford or you refused to do... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Business Law and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: I own a used car dealership. I have a truck a man never made a payment and hasn't for 3 months now tried repo larceny?

He apparently has sold it or parted it out

Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim answered on Nov 1, 2019

There is a larceny by fraud charge that may apply, but it is really more of a civil issue. If the vehicle is $10,000 or less, small claims court may be an inexpensive way to get a judgement on the person and gain access to any assets they may have. Boeheim Freeman Law... 918-884-7791

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Collections and Identity Theft for Oklahoma on
Q: There's been a payday loan taken out in my name, with my SS#, what can I do?

Its not being paid back, and its going on my credit report. What should I do next? How can I prove it is the person that I suspect it to be that is responsible for this? I disputed the mark on my credit report, but I don't know how to prove to them it wasn't me.

William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Oct 20, 2019

Quickly contact PayDay and ask them to preserve the video surveillance from the transactions they claim to have with you. Contact the police and advise them that your identity has been compromised. Contact Equifax and the other major credit reporting agencies and advise that your identity has been... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: I completed a total remodel of a rent house now owner refuses to pay me, how can I collect my money
Doak Willis
Doak Willis answered on Sep 12, 2019

If you were the contractor, you can file a mechanics and materialmans lien on the property as long as it is not too long after you last worked on the property or supplied materials. Then if they don't pay, you can foreclose the lien.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Collections, Health Care Law and Small Claims for Oklahoma on
Q: can i sue my mom for not paying my medical bills even though I'm 18

she promised me and my dad that she would help contribute to my medical bills but hasn't given a cent. once i met the deductible this year, she went and got a sleep study. last year when i met the out of pocket she went and had nose surgery. i live with my dad but i am on her health insurance... Read more »

Kyle Persaud
Kyle Persaud answered on Apr 9, 2019

If your mother agreed to pay your medical bills, then, legally, you can sue.

However, it may not be in your best interests, in the long run, to do this. A lawsuit will likely take you several years and cost you a lot of money. It could also destroy any relationship you may have with your...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Family Law and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: Can debtors try to get my family to pay my debts or get my life ins. if I am the sole signee on loans and credit cards?

When I pass away?

Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean answered on Mar 22, 2018

No your family is not responsible, and life insurance payable to individuals is safe. However, if you have other properties subject to probate, creditors can file claims against your estate. See a lawyer to help plan your estate to avoid probate.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims, Collections and Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: In a marriage if one partner creates debt on accounts that are in his name only is the other partner responsible also
Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean answered on Nov 26, 2017

Generally, NO, unless the debts were incurred for "necessities of life" such as food, shelter, etc.

Please visit my website, for information on Oklahoma law. Then, at the bottom of the homepage, "Subscribe" to get email updates on Oklahoma law

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: I've never received the final divorce decree. Can I be in contempt for non-payment?

We agreed outside of court with no lawyer what bills to split up. However she has told me that some of the cards I didn't agree to are my responsibility. I've maintained the child support we agreed on, but can not pay all of these within my income means.

Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden answered on Nov 6, 2017

Hire an attorney to help you get a copy of the decree and if it was changed without your knowledge they will be able to help you figure out what to do next.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Civil Litigation and Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: Had 1st hearing in a junk-debt case, argued Plaintiff's exhibits were hearsay, judge gave me 30 days to talk to a lawyer

The debt is a credit card debt. My written response included many objections, but at the hearing I simply argued that the Plaintiff's exhibits were hearsay and that without evidence of a *written* contract, the statute of limitations would be 3 yrs, which had already elapsed by the time the... Read more »

Glenn B. Manishin
Glenn B. Manishin answered on Feb 6, 2017

If this is a trial, as opposed to summary judgment or motion to dismiss, an affidavit is inadmissible, so your question is difficult to understand. Get a lawyer, as you are plainly prejudicing your rights by representing yourself.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: How can a collection agcy. Sue you for a unpaid bill that is expired beyond the statue of limitations?
Howard Berkson
Howard Berkson answered on Nov 22, 2013

The collection agency can sue you for a debt that is beyond the statute of limitations. You just have to assert the statute of limitations defense in your answer and it should be a very short lawsuit. However, it's always best to consult with an attorney about how to handle a lawsuit,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: How can I get my money back asap?

I took payments over for a car and paid it off not knowing that the person used the car as collateral for a loan she is not paying off. I cannot get the car registered under my name because of the lien that is still on it under her name.

Howard Berkson
Howard Berkson answered on Nov 22, 2013

It's possible the lien is valid, depending on whether the original owner had authority to use the vehicle for collateral on the second loan. You may be able to take legal action either to get her to pay the debt or to remove the lien from your title. You should consult with an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: How do i obtain a lien release on a debt that was paid and the owner refuses?
Howard Berkson
Howard Berkson answered on Nov 22, 2013

The lien is a "cloud" on your title to the property. You need to talk to an attorney about a "quiet title" action, which is the name of the type of lawsuit used to remove or clarify uncertainties in property ownership.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: Is there a lien for creditors to file against a deceased persons estate?
Howard Berkson
Howard Berkson answered on Nov 22, 2013

You can file a lien against assets in a decedent's estate. Generally, that is done while the estate is in probate. There are, of course, special situations and exceptions.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Oklahoma on
Q: How long am I liable for debt incurred in 2005?
Howard Berkson
Howard Berkson answered on Nov 11, 2013

That depends on the terms of the debt agreement, whether the debt would be considered "consumer debt," and other factors. We don't have enough information to answer your question more clearly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.